Colourful, insightful, innovative, informed, memorable and compelling courses to develop the deep understanding required to solve today's geological problems
Geology For Non-Geologists
This in an introductory level course designed to give an overview of basic geological principles with a strong focus on the application of these to business decisions. The course will focus on the role of geology that is most important to the oil and gas industry including both conventional and unconventional ‘fracking’ resources. It covers basic geological elements that are important in petroleum geology, such as the role of source rocks, reservoirs and seals in a petroleum play. As well as interpretation of geological data such as well logs and seismic data, and teaches the effect that geology has on engineering practices. It will also briefly examine fracking practices and the E&P business in general.
Who Should Take the Course
This course is designed for participants with no prior knowledge of geology. It is recommended for everyone with an interest in the understanding of the geological surface and subsurface considerations affecting the oil and gas industry. The course has been tailored towards non geologists in oil and gas, IT, banking, HR or governmental agencies interested in, or working within the oil and gas industry. Who are looking to gain a greater understanding of the principles guiding geological consideration to enable them to make better informed decisions.
Introduction to Geology
- Learn about plate tectonics and geological time/history concepts
- The fundamentals of rock formation and deformation, from local to continental scale
- The rock cycle – Igneous, Metamorphic and Sedimentary rocks.
Energy: Oil and Gas Geology
- Overview of the main characteristics needed to form a working petroleum system (source/reservoir/seal (+trap/migration).
- Reservoir types: Depositional environments (modern analogues etc)
Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Timeline
- Introduction to how the oil and gas business works: Field Development Cycle – Interactive exercise to simulate oil company decisions.
- Choosing which basins to focus on
- Data Acquisition
- Role of geology in play/prospect identification
- Land Use
Recap And Summary
Courses include lunch. We have arranged a discounted room rate close to or at the venue and for overseas attendees we can assist you with a Visa application if necessary.
- Basic Petrophysical and Rock Physics Modelling of Wireline Logs - An introductory level course for petrophysical and rock physics analysis of wireline logs.
- Carbonate Reservoirs - A comprehensive course familiarizing attendees with carbonate depositional systems, microfacies and reservoir characterization.
- Deepwater Reservoirs - An in-depth course providing a background on the process sedimentology required to understand deepwater systems and recognize sediment gravity flows from sub-surface datasets
- Fundamentals of SEPAL - A comprehensive course familiarizing attendees with the key skills needed to effectivly utilise SEPAL.
- Geology of Reservoirs: from Basin to Pores - Designed to teach an in-depth understanding of reservoir geology, focusing on both the basin-scale geological features right down to the pore-scale geology and their effects on the reservoir.
- Mechanical Earth Modelling and Wellbore Stability Analysis - An insight into potential wellbore instability issues encountered while drilling and how to mitigate the incidents
- Play Fairway Analysis - This course is designed to teach the methods needed to integrate a play-based approach into an oil and gas exploration campaign to deliver more successful results.
- Real Time Geomechanics: Monitoring of Subsurface Pressures while Drilling - The focus of this course is on the techniques employed in carrying out real time pressure surveillance to minimise drilling hazards.
- Sand Control and Sand Management - It is estimated that sand production occurs in over 80% of sandstone reservoirs in the world. This course will provide a holistic approach to sand control and management.
- Seismic Facies Analysis and Sequence Stratigraphy – Getting more geology out of your seismic data - Designed to teach an understanding of seismic facies and sequence stratigraphic analysis, valuable tools for conducting play to prospect mapping and reservoir development.
- Understanding the E&P Business: From New Ventures to Abandonment - The focus of this course is to teach an understanding of the upstream oil and gas business with a strong focus on the role and value of integrating technical and non-technical disciplines
- Well Intervention Management for Brown Field Rejuvination - This 5 day training course has been designed to equip you with best practices, practical know-hows and tips in the planning and execution of well interventions.