Colourful, insightful, innovative, informed, memorable and compelling courses to develop the deep understanding required to solve today's problems
Geology For Non-Geologists
This course is designed to support multi-disciplinary team members, seniors executives of oil & gas businesses who are not geologists by training in delivering business objectives. Fundamental geological principles will be presented with class exercises to enable participants to &appreciate the inherent uncertainties associated with geological evaluations. It will cover the role of Geology in Exploration, Development and Production.
Who Should Take the Course
This course is designed for participants with little understanding of geology. It is recommended for Subsurface & Production engineers, Economists, Commercial, Finance, Asset Management & HR personnel, Interestingly, new geologists will little or no industry experience will also benefit from a broader appreciation of the link between what they know and how this impacts E&P decision making.
- Class Introduction
- Course Expectations
- The Key E&P Subsurface Considerations
- “The filling in the Gap question”
- “The Known to Unknown principle”
- Introduction of Geological Principles
- Space and Time Conundrum
- -Introduction to the geological time scale
- The Rock Cycle
- Igneous, Metamorphic, Sedimentary
- Introduction to Structural processes
- Plate Tectonics
- Extension and Contractional processes
- Introduction to Sedimentary Processes
- Tectonostratigraphic Considerations
- Basin Formation
- Depositional Environments – Clastics & Carbonates
- Introduction to Stratigraphic Considerations
- Sequence Stratigraphy
- Class Exercises
Geological Data, Tools and Methods
- Geophysical Data
- Potential Field data
- Geological Data
- Well Samples
- Ditch Cuttings
- Sidewall Samples
- Petrophysical Data
Geology In Exploration
- Petroleum System Analysis
- Source Rocks
- The concept of critical Timing
- Introduction to the Play concept
Recap And Summary
Geology In Exploration
- Play Fairway Analysis
- •Play Definition and Distribution
- •Play Segments
- •Play Maps
- •Leads and Prospects
- •The concept of CoS (Chance of Success)
- •Portfolio Management
- •Application to Building New Business
- •Frontier Exploration
- •Near Field Exploration (NFE and NIE)
- •Evaluating assets for M&A and other such activities
- •Defining Operational Requirements
- •Selecting Well Locations
- •Data Acquisition planning
- •Mapping and New Ventures
Geology in Development
- Evaluating Exploration Discoveries
- Appraisal Drilling/Planning campaign
- Seismic Interpretation – (More 3D)
- Reservoir Characterisation
- Static Reservoir Modelling and Volumetrics
- Rock Sampling
- Field Development Planning
- Wells & Facilities
Geology in Production
- Reservoir management
- Updating Reservoir Models
- Attic Oil Identification
- Addressing Production Challenges
Carbon Storage Reservoir Studies
Recap And Summary
Courses include lunch. We have arranged a discounted room rate close to or at the venue and for overseas attendees we can assist you with a Visa application if necessary.
- Basic Petrophysical and Rock Physics Modelling of Wireline Logs - An introductory level course for petrophysical and rock physics analysis of wireline logs.
- Carbonate Reservoirs - A comprehensive course familiarizing attendees with carbonate depositional systems, microfacies and reservoir characterization.
- Deepwater Reservoirs - An in-depth course providing a background on the process sedimentology required to understand deepwater systems and recognize sediment gravity flows from sub-surface datasets
- Fundamentals of SEPAL - A comprehensive course familiarizing attendees with the key skills needed to effectivly utilise SEPAL.
- Geology of Reservoirs: from Basin to Pores - Designed to teach an in-depth understanding of reservoir geology, focusing on both the basin-scale geological features right down to the pore-scale geology and their effects on the reservoir.
- Mechanical Earth Modelling and Wellbore Stability Analysis - An insight into potential wellbore instability issues encountered while drilling and how to mitigate the incidents
- Play Fairway Analysis - This course is designed to teach the methods needed to integrate a play-based approach into an oil and gas exploration campaign to deliver more successful results.
- Real Time Geomechanics: Monitoring of Subsurface Pressures while Drilling - The focus of this course is on the techniques employed in carrying out real time pressure surveillance to minimise drilling hazards.
- Sand Control and Sand Management - It is estimated that sand production occurs in over 80% of sandstone reservoirs in the world. This course will provide a holistic approach to sand control and management.
- Seismic Facies Analysis and Sequence Stratigraphy – Getting more geology out of your seismic data - Designed to teach an understanding of seismic facies and sequence stratigraphic analysis, valuable tools for conducting play to prospect mapping and reservoir development.
- The 3-Day MBA workshop - A business course for entrepreneurs
- Understanding the E&P Business: From New Ventures to Abandonment - The focus of this course is to teach an understanding of the upstream oil and gas business with a strong focus on the role and value of integrating technical and non-technical disciplines
- Well Intervention Management for Brown Field Rejuvination - This 5 day training course has been designed to equip you with best practices, practical know-hows and tips in the planning and execution of well interventions.