Colourful, insightful, innovative, informed, memorable and compelling courses to develop the deep understanding required to solve today's problems
Geology For Non-Geologists
This course is designed to deliver business improving appreciation and management of uncertainties and risks. The petroleum industry faces many risks but subsurface risks and uncertainties are very important to resolve since all decisions are based on their consideration. Understanding Subsurface risks requires an understanding of rocks and how they impact business decisions.
This course - taught by oil and gas business men who just happened to start life as a Petroleum geologists - will focus on the business and rocks. The aim is not to make you a geologist (although geology rocks!) but make you solve oil and gas problems better.
You will learn the fundamental principles underpinning geological considerations and how this impacts on subsurface and surface risk management.
Who Should Take the Course
This course is designed for participants with little understanding of geology. It is recommended for Subsurface & Production engineers, Economists, Commercial, Finance, Asset Management & HR Personnel. Government officials working in energy agencies, University and other learning institutions hoping to be involved in delivering consultancy to the Petroleum Industry and investment analysis professionals working on energy stocks will also benefit from this course.
- Class Introduction
- Course Expectations
- The Key E&P Subsurface Considerations
- “The filling in the Gap question”
- “The Known to Unknown principle”
- Introduction of Geological Principles
- Space and Time Conundrum
- -Introduction to the geological time scale
- The Rock Cycle
- Igneous, Metamorphic, Sedimentary
- Introduction to Structural processes
- Plate Tectonics
- Extension and Contractional processes
- Introduction to Sedimentary Processes
- Tectonostratigraphic Considerations
- Basin Formation
- Depositional Environments – Clastics & Carbonates
- Introduction to Stratigraphic Considerations
- Sequence Stratigraphy
- Class Exercises
Geological Data, Tools and Methods
- Geophysical Data
- Potential Field data
- Geological Data
- Well Samples
- Ditch Cuttings
- Sidewall Samples
- Petrophysical Data
Geology In Exploration
- Petroleum System Analysis
- Source Rocks
- The concept of critical Timing
- Introduction to the Play concept
Recap And Summary
Geology In Exploration
- Play Fairway Analysis
- •Play Definition and Distribution
- •Play Segments
- •Play Maps
- •Leads and Prospects
- •The concept of CoS (Chance of Success)
- •Portfolio Management
- •Application to Building New Business
- •Frontier Exploration
- •Near Field Exploration (NFE and NIE)
- •Evaluating assets for M&A and other such activities
- •Defining Operational Requirements
- •Selecting Well Locations
- •Data Acquisition planning
- •Mapping and New Ventures
Geology in Development
- Evaluating Exploration Discoveries
- Appraisal Drilling/Planning campaign
- Seismic Interpretation – (More 3D)
- Reservoir Characterisation
- Static Reservoir Modelling and Volumetrics
- Rock Sampling
- Field Development Planning
- Wells & Facilities
Geology in Production
- Reservoir management
- Updating Reservoir Models
- Attic Oil Identification
- Addressing Production Challenges
Carbon Storage Reservoir Studies
Recap And Summary
Courses include lunch. We have arranged a discounted room rate close to or at the venue and for overseas attendees we can assist you with a Visa application if necessary.
- Basic Petrophysical and Rock Physics Modelling of Wireline Logs - An introductory level course for petrophysical and rock physics analysis of wireline logs.
- Carbonate Reservoirs - A comprehensive course familiarizing attendees with carbonate depositional systems, microfacies and reservoir characterization.
- Deepwater Reservoirs - An in-depth course providing a background on the process sedimentology required to understand deepwater systems and recognize sediment gravity flows from sub-surface datasets
- Fundamentals of SEPAL - A comprehensive course familiarizing attendees with the key skills needed to effectivly utilise SEPAL.
- Geology of Reservoirs - How to find and produce more oil and gas in a low cost environment.
- Geology of Reservoirs: from Basin to Pores - Designed to teach an in-depth understanding of reservoir geology, focusing on both the basin-scale geological features right down to the pore-scale geology and their effects on the reservoir.
- How the E&P business really works. - The insight guide to fulfilling careers and successful businesses.
- Mechanical Earth Modelling and Wellbore Stability Analysis - An insight into potential wellbore instability issues encountered while drilling and how to mitigate the incidents
- Play Fairway Analysis - This course is designed to teach the methods needed to integrate a play-based approach into an oil and gas exploration campaign to deliver more successful results.
- Real Time Geomechanics: Monitoring of Subsurface Pressures while Drilling - The focus of this course is on the techniques employed in carrying out real time pressure surveillance to minimise drilling hazards.
- Sand Control and Sand Management - It is estimated that sand production occurs in over 80% of sandstone reservoirs in the world. This course will provide a holistic approach to sand control and management.
- Seismic Facies Analysis and Sequence Stratigraphy – Getting more geology out of your seismic data - Designed to teach an understanding of seismic facies and sequence stratigraphic analysis, valuable tools for conducting play to prospect mapping and reservoir development.
- Sequence Stratigraphy - Fundamentals and application to exploration production
- The 3-Day MBA workshop - A business course for entrepreneurs
- Understanding the E&P Business: From New Ventures to Abandonment - The focus of this course is to teach an understanding of the upstream oil and gas business with a strong focus on the role and value of integrating technical and non-technical disciplines
- Well Intervention Management for Brown Field Rejuvination - This 5 day training course has been designed to equip you with best practices, practical know-hows and tips in the planning and execution of well interventions.