Colourful, insightful, innovative, informed, memorable and compelling courses to develop the deep understanding required to solve today's geological problems
This is a comprehensive course which has a lecture component and a workshop component. Lectures are delivered from 9:00 am until lunch and during the afternoon participants will perform several exercises the aim of which is to familiarize them with carbonate depositional systems, microfacies and reservoir characterization. Participants are highly encouraged to bring-in seismic lines and well-logs from their own work projects.
The fifth day of the course can either focus on reservoir characterization or a 1-day core workshop on your company’s core data. There is also an optional exercise in which participants are taught reservoir characterization using a microscope (this is only possible if microscopes are provided by your company).
Who Should Attend?
Controls on carbonate production, effects of temperature, latitude, depth, salinity and the distribution of reservoir facies.
Carbonate Microfacies: classification schemes of Dunham and Folk, reef rock classification, microbialite classification, the concept of microfacies and introduction to non-skeletal (cortoids, ooids, pisoids, oncoids, grapestones, intraclasts, extraclasts) and skeletal (coral, bryozoans, algae, molluscs, forams and more) grain types, and carbonate matrix.
Exercise: Modern carbonate depositional environments, facies distribution
Introduction to carbonate factories and builders through time, carbonate platforms types (isolated, rimmed attached, attached, and ramps) and their reservoir distribution. T, C and M factories of Schlager.
Carbonate sequence stratigraphy and cyclicity: shelf cycles of ramps, Lofer and Latemar cycles, Brining upwards cycles, recognition of stratal discontinuities in core, well-logs and seismic.
Exercise: Describing core and thin sections
Carbonate Diagenesis: Cement types, positive and negative effects of dolomitization on reservoir quality, and dedolomitization.
Carbonate Ichnology, bioturbation index and ichnofacies.
Reservoir Characterization and the classification of pore systems.
Exercise: How to approach a carbonate play by integrating seismic, well logs, and core
Modern carbonate depositional environments
Exercise: Identification of key-sequence stratigraphic surfaces
Seismic Expression of Carbonate Platforms
Exercise: How to calculate Net:Gross in carbonate reservoirs
Courses include lunch. We have arranged a discounted room rate close to or at the venue and for overseas attendees we can assist you with a Visa application if necessary.
- Basic Petrophysical and Rock Physics Modelling of Wireline Logs - An introductory level course for petrophysical and rock physics analysis of wireline logs.
- Deepwater Reservoirs - An in-depth course providing a background on the process sedimentology required to understand deepwater systems and recognize sediment gravity flows from sub-surface datasets
- Fundamentals of SEPAL - A comprehensive course familiarizing attendees with the key skills needed to effectivly utilise SEPAL.
- Geology For Non-Geologists - An introductory course providing an overview of basic geological principles and their application to business decisions.
- Geology of Reservoirs: from Basin to Pores - Designed to teach an in-depth understanding of reservoir geology, focusing on both the basin-scale geological features right down to the pore-scale geology and their effects on the reservoir.
- Mechanical Earth Modelling and Wellbore Stability Analysis - An insight into potential wellbore instability issues encountered while drilling and how to mitigate the incidents
- Play Fairway Analysis - This course is designed to teach the methods needed to integrate a play-based approach into an oil and gas exploration campaign to deliver more successful results.
- Real Time Geomechanics: Monitoring of Subsurface Pressures while Drilling - The focus of this course is on the techniques employed in carrying out real time pressure surveillance to minimise drilling hazards.
- Sand Control and Sand Management - It is estimated that sand production occurs in over 80% of sandstone reservoirs in the world. This course will provide a holistic approach to sand control and management.
- Seismic Facies Analysis and Sequence Stratigraphy – Getting more geology out of your seismic data - Designed to teach an understanding of seismic facies and sequence stratigraphic analysis, valuable tools for conducting play to prospect mapping and reservoir development.
- Understanding the E&P Business: From New Ventures to Abandonment - The focus of this course is to teach an understanding of the upstream oil and gas business with a strong focus on the role and value of integrating technical and non-technical disciplines
- Well Intervention Management for Brown Field Rejuvination - This 5 day training course has been designed to equip you with best practices, practical know-hows and tips in the planning and execution of well interventions.